Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Kickin' it at my new home

Where to start....

I really don't feel like writing right now because It seems like I've been doing that non stop since I got back to Tubaniso. We are back here at the headquarters for some more training. To me, it seems kind of pointless to have to come back here throughout our language training but its just something that we have to do. Anyways, I have been at my homestay for the past 2 weeks and it has been very good. My host family is great, my language facilitators are awesome, and the other 3 people in my class are really cool people. The food is not bad, usually rice and some sort of meat sauce or noodles with some sauce on them. Nothing to complain about compared to what a lot of the other volunteers are eating. If i never have to eat tao (sp.?) or intestines, I will be just fine. So usually a typical day for me goes like this. I wake up around 7am every morning, my sister, Adijatou, gets my water for me from the well for my bucket bath. I bathe, eat breakfast which consists of a loaf of bread and peanut butter and a glass of tea. After, I place my Peace Corps issued helmet on and ride my bike about half a mile to my LCF's house where we have our language class. Language class is from 8:30 to 12:30 and then I go back home and eat lunch with my brothers and my uncle. I've mastered eating from a communal bowl. The first couple of days I was really struggling seeing that I could not keep rice off of my clothes with my new technique of eating with my hand. Anyways, after lunch, I go back to school for 2 more hours of French and then an hour of cultural training. From little kids chanting Tubabo - white person - to elders staring at the strange white guy riding his bike to the kids my age who are super curious about me and just America in general, it usually takes me about an hour to get home because I end up having to talk to every person that I cross. When I get home, I usually just chill with my brother, Issa, who's 17 and some of his friends. I eat dinner then look over french until about 1130 or 12 and i go to bed and do the same thing again.

Ok that was super long, and kind of lame but I just thought yall might be interested in hearing about a typical day. Needless to say, in between those daily activites, there are many strange and unordinary things that happen that I will get into on another day. Im watching Boondock Saints right now with the other stageres and it's kind of sad because its reminding me of chilling at the "U" with my roomies wacthing this movie. Boondock Saints, what a classic movie. I miss everyone and send my love and my best. I think after I get done with this blog, Im going to leave becasue the movie just started and I really am sad, sucks...

I have an internet cafe, if thats what you want to call it, about a mile from my home in Droit 2 so Im going to try and get there once a week. Next time, I will have some interesting stories...for now I just thought I'd give you the basic details. I love you all and miss you all and hope to stay in touch and hear back ocassionaly.

PS. My Malian name is Illisou Toure

take care

-Westin

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so it just hit me that you are on the other side of the world. You are doing incredible work every day and I admire you so very much. I am thinking and praying for you often! Love.

Westin in Mali said...

hey

debbye said...

I just logged on and found your blog. Keep us posted as regularly as you can. You know I miss you the most when I go outside at night and look at the moon, and realize that if you were awake we could be looking at the same moon at the very same time on opposite sides of the world/.
Not much news here, just wanted to send you our love and support.
Mom & Dad

Kaella Sosbe said...

hey brother! That was cool getting to call your cell phone today. That makes it seem like you are not so far away. As, always I miss you and love you. And I am so glad you are having a good time!

KrisKros